A Jordanian court has sentenced a French national of Palestinian origin to three months in jail for slandering King Abdullah. The court was told Muntaser Shehab became abusive after a row at a five-star hotel in the capital, Amman. [source]
Ah! To be convicted of lesé majesté. Note, that he was originally given a year but because he’s a French national, he recieved three months. It’s interesting how you can still be sentenced for slandering the King if you carry a foreign nationality/passport, but get less time than an average Jordanian.
Long live the King.
(and the shattered pieces of promised freedoms)
AMMAN – The Criminal Court on Tuesday sentenced a 30-year-old woman to death after convicting her of stabbing her husband to death on April 20, 2007. The tribunal declared the woman, a mother of four, guilty of the premeditated murder of her husband at their home in Irbid and handed her the maximum punishment.
Court papers said the defendant was involved in extramarital affairs and her husband of 11 years discovered them and threatened to tell her family.
Fearing a scandal, the defendant decided to kill her husband and secured a knife for this purpose, according to the court verdict. [source]
In this case it was premeditated, but what if the story had gone the other way around as it so often does in Jordan? What if the husband, upon discovering she was having an affair, decided to kill her in a “moment of rage”? He would likely get a few months, or years at the most, since it would be deemed an honor crime.
So I wonder: what if she had killed him in that same “moment of rage”: would she still get the death sentence?
Things that make you go hmm.
- Jessica commented on Prominent Jordanians Detained On Corruption Charges
- This site commented on Internet Connections In Jordan: You Get What You Pay For
- http://www.0779jy.com/ commented on Photos Of A Futuristic Amman
- cellulite treatment commented on The Best Internet Service Provider In Jordan: 2010 Edition (Yes, Orange Is Still Terrible)
- anti cellulite treatment commented on Shooting Your Foot: Jordan’s Afghanistan And CIA Connection
- cellulite treatment commented on On The Closing Down Of Places During Ramadan & Debating The Real Issues